Goodness gracious. Our visit to the allergist today found me flustered to find out that our baby girl is allergic to Penicillin and Tree Nuts. I know she had the reaction.. but I was still hoping that they wouldn't be able to find a cause and we would be able to write it off as a fluke.

Well, there is a cause and the allergist seems to have figured out the string of events. R had her antibiotic for 5 days and had a new "trail mix" granola bar on day 5 and 6 of her antibiotic. The allergist thinks it was a combination reaction. I'm hoping that nothing else pops up in her allergic zone. We only did specific testing for penicillin and nuts.

So.. I now have to read everything and keep her away from high allergen foods until she is at least two years old. Any future children will have to do this from birth (never followed with T or R before).

I have to communicate our "needs" to the daycare. Thankfully, it is associated with a hospital so I am hoping that will increase their knowledge on childhood allergens. *update*.. They have experienced this and they will keep one of her epi-pens on hand to combat an outbreak if I can't get there before it gets that bad*

We have to keep all nuts out of the house. If she "NEEDS" penicillin we can sensatize her quickly. Until then, no penicillin or Ceclor.

Work wtih T not to feed R his food and not to let anyone else feed her. His role of protective big brother just got a lot bigger than he could have ever imagined.

I'm wondering what really happens now. I mean, do we just go on living and stay prepared for an extreme reaction. Why don't we know what her other triggers are?

I don't like having to educate myself on these scary matters.


This entry was posted on 8:27 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 thoughts:

    Milenka said...

    Aww, I'm sorry, sweetie. Hopefully it won't ever be an emergency-type problem. *hugs*

  1. ... on 11:00 PM